Cozy Airport Lounge

Sunday, June 13, 2004

Moments like this...

Recently I've really enjoyed being more "alive" so to speak. Yesterday I got to run from my house down to the beach to catch a beautiful sunset. Today I attended DLu's graduation ceremony and CQ's going away party was at my house. Yeah, you can say but that's just life, what's the big deal... but I guess life is really dynamic, really cool. It can be as little as the simple pleasure of living at a place where I can run from my house to the beach to enjoy the sunset and the waves, or the joy of testing out my friend's brand new WRX around the block, turning sharply on the corners and the feeling of how the tires grip, to seeing my friend accomplish something great like graduating from grad school, to gathering around with good friends while we say goodbye to a dear friend, who we might not see again. I sure hope not, but even now, I'm beginning to realize that I will miss her presence, her quirkiness.

I listened to a sermon in the car recently, and there was a story of how there was this professor that taught "existentialism in the modern world." The first day of class, the professor stood silently in front of a class of 300, paused, and then asked a simple question. "How long...have you been alive?" The students were semi-stunned, or confused. He asked again, "I said, how long have you been alive?" Then he went and approached this student in the front row, "You, how long have you been alive?" "Uh...nineteen years?" said the student. The professor replied, "No! That's how long you've been sucking air. I mean, how long have you been alive son, how long???" to which the scared student replied, "Uh...couple of weeks?"

I thought that was an interesting topic. I mean, you can live your whole live and not be alive. If you're not inspired, or passionate, or loving, then you can just distract yourself enough in life to not really be alive. You can shield yourself from hurts, try to live a life of least resistance, of the most comfort, and still not have been alive. Mere robots who can regurgitate the latest news, shows, soundbites, and stuff.

May you live a life full of love, conviction, and purpose. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home