Cozy Airport Lounge

Monday, March 17, 2003

Looking at my designs for a site I'm working on today, I noticed that the red I used on the mockups was too vivid, too vibrant. I decided to tone it down a little. Now I just don't like the color red at all, or any reminder of the blood which will be spilled in Iraq and possibly US.
I'm pretty depressed right now, 9:40pm at my office, after watching Bush's speech and reading numerous nytimes articles. I don't think anyone will disagree that Saddam Hussein should be eliminated, but the way we go about it, this war which garnered meager international and domestic backing, will bring forth decades of hate and distrust against the American people and it's government. With it, we, the american civilians, will be limited in our ability to help less fortunate nations thru charitable programs. I'm thinking all the money we could of spent on helping to feed the hungry, to train people in less developed countries. I'm thinking of all the Americans who are abroad and doing their best to spread the goodwill we as americans have towards other nation's people. I'm thinking how this war will undermine their cause. I'm also thinking what would happen if they bomb the Golden Gate Bridge or smuggle in a dirty bomb to SF in retaliation. I'm thinking about the soldiers who might die of chemical weapons in Iraq. I'm thinking that we're so arrogant when we say this war will be over in weeks if not days. Days? No one knows what happens when a war starts. How can they predict days? It'll take years before other nations will trust us again. We've already severed ties with them over issues of global warming, missile defence, international criminal courts, and now this war. I don't think the white house had thought hard enough of the alternatives. To be fair, I guess for George Bush, it's a lose-lose situation. If we don't go to war, and the terrorists strikes US again, he will be blamed for doing nothing. If we do go to war, we will make the doctrine of pre-emptive strike a reality. What's to say that terrorists and other nations will ever declare war again? The doctrine will create mistrust in all the nations, and can be rearing other unforseeable situations in the future. And who's next after Iraq, will we "nation build" North Korea and Iran? And North Korea already has nuclear warheads. My sister who is in Japan is in danger of an attack by N. Korea. Somehow there's a feeling inside that tells me that something might happen in the near future which will make 9/11 pale in comparison.

Sorry for being like this. I'm writing out of my heart, and I hope what my heart is telling me is false. I'm just sad right now...In some sense, I see and feel God being more real right now rather than getting mad at God. I'm seeing how we as humans are so imperfect, so fallible. There are no sides, no "us against them." We're all people and we aren't all that bright. Once we feel defensive we will do illogical things in order to give us a sense of security, and in that case Saddam and George Bush aren't all that different. Bush says that he's a Christian. I do hope that he does consult and listen to God throughout past years, but in the end, I just feel so unsure of the future that is in front of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home