Cozy Airport Lounge

Thursday, June 06, 2002

Thursday, 11:30pm...
Mood: happy
Listening: BOA - You're still my No.1 (korean music)
World Cup Fever...catch it baby. Last night I witnessed what could be the biggest win in US soccer team's recent memory. That's right, the underdogs upset 5th ranked Portugal in front of a crowd full of red and green colors. But before I go right into the game, lemme set it up a bit...

I was nice to be able to see Seoul in the daytime. Every day that I've been here has been indoors working. So it was nice to be able to finally go out. My coworker and I took the media shuttle to neighboring Suwon for the match and since the city was famous for galbi, we decided to go have some. Now I don't know if it's psychological or if it really is good, but yeah, it was a good meal! They use charcoal to cook the meat, instead of gas ones. Hmm...justing writing about it make me hungry...but...the only thing left here in the office is the kfc leftovers...sigh... :)

So...It's already a treat to be able to go to a worldcup game, but apparently we had some extra tickets, uh...like, 15 of them, most of them are the best seats in the stadium...how did we have that many extra? Don't ask me...but we were given the tickets and were free to do whatever we want with them....Now, that puts us in a unfamiliar situation...Hmm...I've got these coveted tickets, each priced at around 150 bucks US, and we could do whatever we want with them. I was thinking hmm...I can give it to the restaurant owner, or the taxi driver, or these two guys looking for tickets. And then I thought about how if I just give 2 tickets to the restaurant owner, it might actually give him a headache. Cuz he might not be able to go since that day was probably a busy day for him, knowing that all these tourists are going to come for dinner. And if he wasn't gonna go, who will he give the tickets to, there were at least 8 waiter/waitresses there. Anyway, so eventually, we sold the tickets and had more galbi!!!! Woohoo what a deal!!! Haha, you didn't think I would do that would I? Although it was tempting, imagining how I can buy a digital camera with that money AND buy tons of souveniers for you all, but I settled on giving it to drew's friend here in Seoul, Paul. And in the course of 3 hours, he was able to get 11 other friends to go, some from his church, some from his old workplace. When we all finally met at the stadium, of course, they were more than happy to be able to go. One person did complain about how she was going to category 2 seats instead of category 1 seats....man! Beggers can't be choosers! Haha...but I guess it was interesting how people took it. Well, it was an interesting experience to have something so sought after and give it out for free. It's a good feeling. I just wished I told them to pay it forward. (Still haven't seen the movie) Anyway, it's interesting. It's like the stadium is the banqueting table and it's a joy to ask people to come along for the feast and they gladly accept the invitation. All you had to do is ask. Sometimes I wish it would that simple in life, but sadly that's not the case. Kinda like all the people outside the stadium passing out anything from books about some new age/martial arts group, to workers holding up signs about the need to repent and receive salvation from the Lord. I remembered that Drew and a bunch of dedicated missionaries were boldly professing the gospel out there, and when my coworkers walked swiftly past, I didn't know how to feel. I mean, each person has their own world view and all we can do is to offer a different way to see the world, but we do live in a cynical, postmodern world, where truth is personal and if you voice out your view overtly, it can sever friendships. I dunno...how can we all exchange our point of views without it being a match of I'm right and you're not? How can someone see that there's more to life if that might mean turning their nice life upside down? Is that worth it? Sometimes the good can get in the way of the best. "Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free." I cling on to believe that this statement is true.

I didn't talk about the game yet huh. Well, it was a night to remember, including what I just wrote. Anyway, there was a sea of portugal fans there so USA was clearly in hostile territory, especially since they were in the same group as Korea and they so want us to lose ever since the Apollo Anton Ohno controversy at the winter olympics. I'm not kidding. BUT, there were 2 USA sections and as luck would have it, we would wound up sitting in one of them. It's like the best seats in the house, as I sat 10 rows up from the middle of the field. The view was breathtaking. A stadium full of passionate fans, shouting their loudest at every attack. Some fans were showing a huge Portugal flag, like 40 seats by 30 seats wide, what a sight. I also got a chance to see one of the best football players in the world, Figo, dribble the ball and make dancelike moves several times....man, it was beautiful. I'm beginning to appreciate this game better, with every little detail I notice from watching the game this close. Well, most sane football fan would pick portugal to steamroll over the americans, but to everyone's surprise, USA scored 1st less than 20 minutes into the game! We all yelled on the top of our lungs! The two US sections broke into an uncontrollable cheer, flags were waving and we were all chanting U-S-A! U-S-A! My voice started to go out when we scored the second goal a couple of minutes later, on an own goal by a portuguese player. Okay, so that was luck, but the third goal we scored was a beauty. Brian McBride headed home a precise cross by DaMarcus Beasley and all of a sudden, we all thought, "we're going to win!!!" More shouting, more chanting, especially a chant of "over-rated" at the Portuguese, and that was the end of the 1st half. But you know that the Portuguese would come out with a vengence in the 2nd half, and they did, they got 2 goals real quick and it was the longest 45 minutes to go through. But by injury time, it was clear. US was going to pull an upset, probably the biggest upset in this tourney. When the ref blew his whistle, we all cheered. The ecstatic US team came over to our section and clapped their hands in appreciation of our support. THAT was the moment of the night. We all clapped our hands and cheered them on. Man, what a feeling...

We came back to the hotel and my coworker and I ended the wonderful day with room service and watched Moulin Rouge. Loved the movie, but I can see how that can be a hate it or love it kinda movie. Anyway, it's the end of my day in the office today. For all the people who have been im'ing with me and emailing me, I continue to look forward to chatting with you all. Makes me feel like part of me is home with you all, no matter where we all are physically.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home