New York....New York....
I know it's been forever since I've updated anything on this blog...so if you're still there, I'll have to thank you. I've been in nyc since tuesday and will be heading up to Boston tomorrow on that crazy Chinatown Bus. 10 bucks one way. No guarantee when we'll get there, but hey, it's all good.
Highlights from the trip so far including chatting with a 1/2 Nigerian 1/2 Romanian girl on jetblue. She was born in Romania, grew up in Nigeria, doing residency in California, and was on the way to NYC and Europe to visit friends. A true global citizen. Of course, we started talking about US policies vs. European policies, the rise of India and China, Tom Friedman's new book, "The world is flat". I just bought that for my dad, who's really into global politics. Also, if you haven't had a chance, go on the internet and search for a comic named "Russell Peters" There's a hilarious video of him doing a show and basically making fun of every race under the sun. He's Indian Canadian and prolly from Vancouver. One of the best stand up shows I've seen. Check it out and find out just how to pronouce the name "!xobile." :)
The adventure continues as we rolled our luggage across the entire Brooklyn Bridge like some idiots who just got fresh off the plane and I felt like being in a scene from "Coming to America." See, I was supposed to pick up some keys in Manhattan, but turns out that person was taking his parents from Alberta around down and he wanted to meet up in Brooklyn! I was pretty tired and couldn't wait to get the keys, so we decided to meet them on the bridge. Believe me, you can't feel more like an idiot tourist than rolling some luggage across the Brooklyn Bridge. But afterwards we took the 6 uptown to the apartment and felt much relieved. Next time, go to Manhattan and wait.
After taking a breather, we headed out to UN to meet with my friend GW's old coworkers while he was interning there last year. UN had always interested me b/c it's as close to a global government as we can get and honestly, it's nowhere close, partly because it's got no muscle behind its resolutions. But nonetheless, the ideology of having a forum to try to work out nations' problems in a peaceful is at least honorable. The buliding interior is very 50-60's modernist type. Black patterns on the polished floor, long hallways, and the familiar peach colored walls. The people we met were inspiring. They've got a design department there and I got some contacts. We'll see how it goes.
Wednesday we went out to Tribeca for the Tribeca film festival to see a wonderful movie called "Show Business." On the way there I met Sergio, the producer of the Chilean movie called "Play." New York must be the most diverse place in the world. Seems like no one's really from NY, (ok, a lot of them are, but you get my point) and it seems like everyone's on survival mode, trying to achieve their ambitions. I mean, I've never heard anyone coming to NYC to be a plumber or something. I guess I'm just saying that a lot of people here come to try their hand, to see if they can hack it. Anyway, you have to see Show Business when it comes out in general release. The filmmakers shot around 600 hours of footage, covering the behind the scenes of all the theater shows of the 2004 season. In the end, they focused on 4 interesting shows: Wicked, Avenue Q, Caroline or Change, and Taboo. Great access to people in the industry including Rosie O'Donell, who plopped down 10 mil to make Taboo and features Boy George. Wicked, with a production cost of 10 mil and interviews with songwriter Stephen Schwarz (of Godspell fame) and lead actress Idina Menzel. Avenue Q had the most interesting story as the film follows the show's 2 creaters and their "I can't believe this is happening" moments. If you enjoy broadway, definitely go see this film.
Inspired by the film, we decided to try getting cancellation tickets for this season's hottest show, Spamalot. While in line we met a singaporean singer, Wendi Koh. Seems like she has a music video on MTV and she has an album out. Since she sings in English and her market is Singapore, I'm sure that's a bit tough. Very energetic girl. As time passed, they were waving people on the cancellation line to buy tix. We keep getting closer and closer, but alas, with only 2 others in front of us, a lady came out and said that all tickets have been accounted for, and there were no more cancellations. Very bummed. Would have been nice to see Hank Azarias, Tim Robbins, and others in the show. At least we're seeing "Altar Boys" on sunday.
Tonight, went up to Bronx to see a Yankees game. The famed Yankee stadium didn't disappoint, but the play of the 100 million dollar Yankee roster sure did. Kevin Brown was shaky from the start, but settled down afterwards. But there was so little offense and that leads to a boring 3-1 loss for the Yankees. Had a good time meeting up w/ Tiner, Tim, Grace, Mel and others tho. And the $9 dollar seats had a pretty decent view. Around the 6th inning fans actually booed Kevin Brown when he let another run in. New York fans...tough crowd.
Other tidbits:
Playing: The Blower's Daughter: Damien Rice. Glass, Concrete and Stone: David Bryne.
Favorite Food: Pizza at Tontonno's in upper east side. Great new york thin crust pizza.
Favorite Exhibit: Extreme Textiles at the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum. Go check out the website and get the book. It's been selling out here at the museum.
Will post pics later...stay tuned.
Highlights from the trip so far including chatting with a 1/2 Nigerian 1/2 Romanian girl on jetblue. She was born in Romania, grew up in Nigeria, doing residency in California, and was on the way to NYC and Europe to visit friends. A true global citizen. Of course, we started talking about US policies vs. European policies, the rise of India and China, Tom Friedman's new book, "The world is flat". I just bought that for my dad, who's really into global politics. Also, if you haven't had a chance, go on the internet and search for a comic named "Russell Peters" There's a hilarious video of him doing a show and basically making fun of every race under the sun. He's Indian Canadian and prolly from Vancouver. One of the best stand up shows I've seen. Check it out and find out just how to pronouce the name "!xobile." :)
The adventure continues as we rolled our luggage across the entire Brooklyn Bridge like some idiots who just got fresh off the plane and I felt like being in a scene from "Coming to America." See, I was supposed to pick up some keys in Manhattan, but turns out that person was taking his parents from Alberta around down and he wanted to meet up in Brooklyn! I was pretty tired and couldn't wait to get the keys, so we decided to meet them on the bridge. Believe me, you can't feel more like an idiot tourist than rolling some luggage across the Brooklyn Bridge. But afterwards we took the 6 uptown to the apartment and felt much relieved. Next time, go to Manhattan and wait.
After taking a breather, we headed out to UN to meet with my friend GW's old coworkers while he was interning there last year. UN had always interested me b/c it's as close to a global government as we can get and honestly, it's nowhere close, partly because it's got no muscle behind its resolutions. But nonetheless, the ideology of having a forum to try to work out nations' problems in a peaceful is at least honorable. The buliding interior is very 50-60's modernist type. Black patterns on the polished floor, long hallways, and the familiar peach colored walls. The people we met were inspiring. They've got a design department there and I got some contacts. We'll see how it goes.
Wednesday we went out to Tribeca for the Tribeca film festival to see a wonderful movie called "Show Business." On the way there I met Sergio, the producer of the Chilean movie called "Play." New York must be the most diverse place in the world. Seems like no one's really from NY, (ok, a lot of them are, but you get my point) and it seems like everyone's on survival mode, trying to achieve their ambitions. I mean, I've never heard anyone coming to NYC to be a plumber or something. I guess I'm just saying that a lot of people here come to try their hand, to see if they can hack it. Anyway, you have to see Show Business when it comes out in general release. The filmmakers shot around 600 hours of footage, covering the behind the scenes of all the theater shows of the 2004 season. In the end, they focused on 4 interesting shows: Wicked, Avenue Q, Caroline or Change, and Taboo. Great access to people in the industry including Rosie O'Donell, who plopped down 10 mil to make Taboo and features Boy George. Wicked, with a production cost of 10 mil and interviews with songwriter Stephen Schwarz (of Godspell fame) and lead actress Idina Menzel. Avenue Q had the most interesting story as the film follows the show's 2 creaters and their "I can't believe this is happening" moments. If you enjoy broadway, definitely go see this film.
Inspired by the film, we decided to try getting cancellation tickets for this season's hottest show, Spamalot. While in line we met a singaporean singer, Wendi Koh. Seems like she has a music video on MTV and she has an album out. Since she sings in English and her market is Singapore, I'm sure that's a bit tough. Very energetic girl. As time passed, they were waving people on the cancellation line to buy tix. We keep getting closer and closer, but alas, with only 2 others in front of us, a lady came out and said that all tickets have been accounted for, and there were no more cancellations. Very bummed. Would have been nice to see Hank Azarias, Tim Robbins, and others in the show. At least we're seeing "Altar Boys" on sunday.
Tonight, went up to Bronx to see a Yankees game. The famed Yankee stadium didn't disappoint, but the play of the 100 million dollar Yankee roster sure did. Kevin Brown was shaky from the start, but settled down afterwards. But there was so little offense and that leads to a boring 3-1 loss for the Yankees. Had a good time meeting up w/ Tiner, Tim, Grace, Mel and others tho. And the $9 dollar seats had a pretty decent view. Around the 6th inning fans actually booed Kevin Brown when he let another run in. New York fans...tough crowd.
Other tidbits:
Playing: The Blower's Daughter: Damien Rice. Glass, Concrete and Stone: David Bryne.
Favorite Food: Pizza at Tontonno's in upper east side. Great new york thin crust pizza.
Favorite Exhibit: Extreme Textiles at the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum. Go check out the website and get the book. It's been selling out here at the museum.
Will post pics later...stay tuned.

3 Comments:
dshih chats it up and connects with new people with ease. :) better than i can.
By
gw, at 11:56 PM
I agree, you go Dshih!
Man, I wish I could catch a Yankees game in NY!
By
AlfDaBruin, at 8:04 PM
Glad to see your blog getting some use again :) I wish I was home!!!
By
LL, at 11:09 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home