Cozy Airport Lounge

Monday, January 26, 2004

Hi folks. Thx again for a rocking saturday full of activities. The chicken and waffles breakfast was great. Thx to some wonderful cooks (eesh, citygirl, capitol) for helping out. Glad everyone had fun. I think instead of playing football afterwards, a nice group nap would have been better.

But for those who kept on going, we were rewarded with a nice gallery art viewing. I've never done this in SF, but a couple of us wound up heading out to downtown to some art galleries to see the Hiroshi Sugimoto photos. He takes pictures of famous architectural buildings and then blurs them just so. Jedimaster swears that he doesn't buy it, and that he can do that himself. Well, I saw the price list and one of them is going for 60 thouuuuuusand doooolllllarrrrrssss. Hmm... I can buy a mansion in say... Texas for that! Ok, so I can't, but people keep telling me how cheap Texas land is. Anyway, I was dreaming how I would negotiate with the guy, "say, can you bring down the price a bit? I'll give you two benjammins? Take it or leave it." Anyway, we left shortly after. Cuz the best part of the nite is yet to come...

Main event: Swing dancing at the Doghouse. This is not for the faint of heart. Whoever goes has to swingdance. No coats to watch, no seats to park your butt in. I realized tho, that there was some good dancers out there. Zileel definitely stood out. Dodgeball king and ms. songstress came out too. We learned some basic lindy from the instructor and then we're on our own. Good thing Zileel taught me some tricks. Jetso, shooter, snoopes, tots, sneakystanaction all did pretty well. I'm glad we all had fun. Glad people came out.

You know, I think you can tell a lot about the other person by swingdancing with him/her. I've danced with passive girls who just leave you to do all the work. There are also girls who are so independent that they just go off on your own, leaving you to wonder what to do, and you have to remind them to just let you lead. There are girls who dances well and when they see that you're a beginner, they look away and get bored. (Man I hate that feeling...dancing with someone who is visibly bored with you. Everyone's a beginner sometime!) And there are girls who dances well, but encourages you and teaches you a couple of moves and makes your day. And when you dance with someone who's in the same level as you, it's great to sense/feel the compensation/empathy you and the person has with each other. There's a sort of nice tension. Like too much tension and it's like fighting with each other. Too little and it's sloppy and not very graceful. When two people are in sync though, they're sure to have fun. They're comfortable with each other's mistakes and laughs it off. One person leads and the other follow. Each person then throw their own little flair and style into it, and so it becomes a fun dance and heck of a good time. That's why people say as long as you look like you know what you're doing, then people will think that you're doing well. But to get to that point, you gotta have some teamwork between the two to pull it off. Alright, maybe I'm getting too philosophical about it. In practical terms...man, as a guy, you just gotta pay your dues, take the lessons, fail, make those mistakes, get your share of those bored faces from girls, until you can begin to hold your own. Then your confidence builds up and the fun starts there. No pain no gain I guess. But you might as well try. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home