Florence, Siena
So today is the last day that we're staying here in Florence. Here are some highlights:
- Sitting in front of the 700 year old Duomo at night wearing shorts and flip flops, journaling while a cellist plays classical music on my left. A bit later, a group of singers began singing songs in the square. In front of me, a couple of off-duty African street vendors chat away. It's interesting. Seems like there are 2 types of illegal street vendors, the Africans and the mainland Chinese. The Africans sell oversized sunglasses, which seems to be the rage here, oversized watches, or pirated cds. The Chinese own cloths, remote control cars, and handicrafts. Tony and I really think there is a global unsaid training school for up and coming illegal street vendors. You can major in merchandising (pirated cds, sunglasses, or fake handbags), breath requirements include how to spot the police and best getaways. Ok, fine, really stupid stuff I'm writing....back to the trip.
- Today we went to Siena. It's an hr bus ride from Florence. The city square, Il Campo is a great space. Yesterday we went to see the statue of David, which is incredible when you see it in real life. It's so real it seems like David was going to climb down from the podium and walk around. That's skills. :) It was interesting too that we went on 9/11, which was on our minds, but it's just another day in Italy. It's true tho. How many Americans will remember the exact date of the Madrid train bombings?
- Everyone thinks we're japanese. Heck, even Japanese tourists think we're japanese. When we start talking even Americans are taken back that we speak English. I guess it's also an advantage that they don't see us as Americans, but yet, we understand english. This is especially useful when the loud Americans are talking loudly about how obnoxious those "other" obnoxious Americans are... I know...I need to edit the last sentence somehow....
- Bottle of water near the Duomo:3 Euros. Bottle of water at a supermarket: 28 cents. A 3 hr phone card to the US: 5 euros. That's cheaper than back home....by a lot.
- I've had the best pizza ever in Florence. Gelato is alright, but hazelnut flavor is great. I've taken a liking to expressos and cappucinos. Desserts are wonderful here. I've drank beer or wine like everyday and it's awesome.
Tomorrow we take off and go to Rome. It's been a week already and internet cafes, coke, and phone calls are good fixes. I have like 500 megs of photos/videos. Anyway, I'll update you all later. Ciao!
Dave
- Sitting in front of the 700 year old Duomo at night wearing shorts and flip flops, journaling while a cellist plays classical music on my left. A bit later, a group of singers began singing songs in the square. In front of me, a couple of off-duty African street vendors chat away. It's interesting. Seems like there are 2 types of illegal street vendors, the Africans and the mainland Chinese. The Africans sell oversized sunglasses, which seems to be the rage here, oversized watches, or pirated cds. The Chinese own cloths, remote control cars, and handicrafts. Tony and I really think there is a global unsaid training school for up and coming illegal street vendors. You can major in merchandising (pirated cds, sunglasses, or fake handbags), breath requirements include how to spot the police and best getaways. Ok, fine, really stupid stuff I'm writing....back to the trip.
- Today we went to Siena. It's an hr bus ride from Florence. The city square, Il Campo is a great space. Yesterday we went to see the statue of David, which is incredible when you see it in real life. It's so real it seems like David was going to climb down from the podium and walk around. That's skills. :) It was interesting too that we went on 9/11, which was on our minds, but it's just another day in Italy. It's true tho. How many Americans will remember the exact date of the Madrid train bombings?
- Everyone thinks we're japanese. Heck, even Japanese tourists think we're japanese. When we start talking even Americans are taken back that we speak English. I guess it's also an advantage that they don't see us as Americans, but yet, we understand english. This is especially useful when the loud Americans are talking loudly about how obnoxious those "other" obnoxious Americans are... I know...I need to edit the last sentence somehow....
- Bottle of water near the Duomo:3 Euros. Bottle of water at a supermarket: 28 cents. A 3 hr phone card to the US: 5 euros. That's cheaper than back home....by a lot.
- I've had the best pizza ever in Florence. Gelato is alright, but hazelnut flavor is great. I've taken a liking to expressos and cappucinos. Desserts are wonderful here. I've drank beer or wine like everyday and it's awesome.
Tomorrow we take off and go to Rome. It's been a week already and internet cafes, coke, and phone calls are good fixes. I have like 500 megs of photos/videos. Anyway, I'll update you all later. Ciao!
Dave

3 Comments:
hi dave, just had to take a peek at your European adventures... =) you'll love the gelato in Rome... the best i've had by far. hey so when you get to cinque terre, make sure you guys go out to the rocks at night to see all the shooting stars! -cherene
By
cw, at 4:34 PM
Gelato is only alright?!?!? Man, you're crazy. That stuff is so good. Beer and wine everyday, huh? So you have a tolerance built up now? Haha.
By
Anonymous, at 1:24 PM
it's so easy to remember the exact date of the madrid train bombing. it occurred on the same date (11th) 6 months following september (march) in the year 2004.
the fact that it's just another day in italy is so wrong. where i was there was a full scale event honoring those that lost their lives.
one shouldn't live in a provincial world and just assume that just because you experience something, doesn't mean it can't be different in another city within the same country. ("it's tru tho")
By
Anonymous, at 12:21 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home