Cozy Airport Lounge

Monday, January 28, 2002

Sunday, January 27, 2002
11:45pm
Home

In this post:
East coast vs. west coast
Relevance
Beauty of creation
1st person vs. 3rd person view of life

So I just had a heated but refreshing conversation with my friends about east coast versus west coast tonight. East coasters say that west coasters aren’t able to have a sophisticated conversation. West coasters think East coasters are so snobbish and elitist to think that everyone has to speak at that level. EC’s think WC’s avoid confrontation too much, WC’s are annoyed that EC’s always have to argue and have no patience. Well, before this post starts WWIII, I just wanna say that it’s just a matter of styles and both cultures have its good and bad sides. I enjoyed the verbal sparring, and I think we all had a good time. I also think it’s a luxury that we’re able to have such conversations. We are (the people in the conversation) very blessed to have the opportunity to experience life on both ends of the country and beyond. And this is an interesting segue into my next thought, relevance. You know, it’s nice and all to talk intellectually about these things but dchi brought up a good point that it’s all about relevance. It doesn’t matter if you talk at a high level or a low level of sophistication, the important thing is which level of sophistication would the conversation speak most to the audience.

Whew, on to other topics. I came back from a ski trip in Tahoe and I’m once again amazed at God’s creation. The way the snowflakes are all different, how the wind affect their descent, how the trees are constructed, and the mountains, the sky, the stars, and most of all, how people are constructed. I find it harder to argue for a world without a creator than a world with one. And the detail to which the world is created is just awesome. Beauty on a micro and on a macro level, working together to form a snow scene which we drove through, in all its visual, aural, and tactile glory. I’m thankful once again that I’m able to enjoy every detail of it.

I’ve got more to say but I gotta return back to living my life rather than analyzing and observing it. It’s interesting that sometimes we record experiences, whether by photo, video, or journaling, and it’s easy to think that we’re involved with those experiences because we recorded it. But I must not forget that the cameraman is never really in the show. He’s just an observer. I dunno, it’s like the main character from Rent, the one constantly with the camcorder. Is he living life? Or is he living vicariously thru others by observing/recording others?

I don’t know. I think I’ll just do a “west coast” shrug and call it a night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home