Continuing to repost my nyc journal entries...
January 15th, 12:47am
The W
New York City
So it’s 12:47am and the day has finally winded down. First day of meeting with the clients over Phase II planning of the project that I’m working on. Pretty exhausting day of meetings. I think once I stepped into the office I didn’t even see sunlight for the rest of the day. It’s interesting though, here I am, sitting in this hotel room the size of my freshman college dorm room, and yet they charge us like 250 for it. The prices here are insane! Tonight we had dinner at Vong and the bill came out to be a grand for 10 people. But yet somehow it seems oh so normal in this city.
I’m confused about how I feel about New York. I guess the best I can say is that the city charms and awes me, but at the same time it compels me to build up a defense against it. I mean, I enjoy the fact that everyone is all dressed up and it feels so good to walk around town like that. There’s an attitude of ambition and it makes me feel like I also want to get somewhere in the world. On top of that, somehow I feel like the people here in New York gets it. They walk with an air that says, “Hey, you can’t surprise me, I’ve seen everything.” And of course, I don’t doubt them. There’s so much to offer here I wonder how I would feel going back to SF. I suppose I’ll think that the west coast is so bare and innocent.
You know, in a city filled with personal aspirations and individual survival, it’s easy to see the contrasts. On my way from Kennedy airport to the city, I was chatting with the cab driver. I noticed that he had a jesus air freshener and began to start a conversation about faith. This man really loves the Lord. He said that he was messed up and spiritually lost just a few years ago but now he knows who he is living for. He’s from Haiti and it was a trip to hear him talk on the phone with his church brother in French. He knew so much about the Word that he puts all of us casual bible study goers to shame. I was so encouraged by his faith and I thank God that I can start my nyc trip by chatting with him. It is such a warm welcome in a city of survival.
Okay, it’s late…I can’t write…I’m just rambling …maybe I’ll see Al Rooker from Good Morning Tomorrow when I go to work…
January 15th, 12:47am
The W
New York City
So it’s 12:47am and the day has finally winded down. First day of meeting with the clients over Phase II planning of the project that I’m working on. Pretty exhausting day of meetings. I think once I stepped into the office I didn’t even see sunlight for the rest of the day. It’s interesting though, here I am, sitting in this hotel room the size of my freshman college dorm room, and yet they charge us like 250 for it. The prices here are insane! Tonight we had dinner at Vong and the bill came out to be a grand for 10 people. But yet somehow it seems oh so normal in this city.
I’m confused about how I feel about New York. I guess the best I can say is that the city charms and awes me, but at the same time it compels me to build up a defense against it. I mean, I enjoy the fact that everyone is all dressed up and it feels so good to walk around town like that. There’s an attitude of ambition and it makes me feel like I also want to get somewhere in the world. On top of that, somehow I feel like the people here in New York gets it. They walk with an air that says, “Hey, you can’t surprise me, I’ve seen everything.” And of course, I don’t doubt them. There’s so much to offer here I wonder how I would feel going back to SF. I suppose I’ll think that the west coast is so bare and innocent.
You know, in a city filled with personal aspirations and individual survival, it’s easy to see the contrasts. On my way from Kennedy airport to the city, I was chatting with the cab driver. I noticed that he had a jesus air freshener and began to start a conversation about faith. This man really loves the Lord. He said that he was messed up and spiritually lost just a few years ago but now he knows who he is living for. He’s from Haiti and it was a trip to hear him talk on the phone with his church brother in French. He knew so much about the Word that he puts all of us casual bible study goers to shame. I was so encouraged by his faith and I thank God that I can start my nyc trip by chatting with him. It is such a warm welcome in a city of survival.
Okay, it’s late…I can’t write…I’m just rambling …maybe I’ll see Al Rooker from Good Morning Tomorrow when I go to work…

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home